Objective of the department
The students will develop basic skills and able to function effectively as a nursing administrator in the hospital and community.
ACTIVITES OF THE DEPARTMENT
- As a part of INC and R.G.U.H.S curriculum requirement, the department is keen in organising workshop, seminar for the staff nurses and student nurses in co-ordination with M.Sc. N, PC.BSc Nursing student and the nursing superintendent of vydehi hospital.
- Induction programme and orientation programme for the new staff nurses will be conducted at last week of every month by the department faculty.
- Organising two workshops, and two seminar per year on current problems and innovations for the staff nurses will be conducted in coordination of nursing superintendent of vydehi hospital.
- Staff development programme and CNE programme will be conducted on every Friday of the month in order to update the knowledge of the student nurses and staff nurses in the field of nursing.
- Providing information about the objectives, working pattern and organizational function to the staff nurses and student nurses of various institution who are visiting us.
Today a, all nurses are managers, whether you work on a medical floor in an acute care hospital , in a critical care unit , an ambulatory care clinic in home care, you must deal with staff, including other health care personnel who work with you and for you, and you must use resources wisely.
The departmental of nursing research objectives are to,
- Helps the student to understand basic research concepts and principles
- Build up research potentials in the departmental of nursing with sincerity adhering to ethical principles
- Encourage the students to apply a solid understanding of the research process & study findings to patient care and evaluation
Community Health Nursing
Activities of the Department
- In addition to meeting the requirements the students conduct many other programmes. We celebrate all national and international health days like population day, AIDS day, Diabetic Day etc by conducting seminars, rallys , health check ups etc
- Health education is provided through puppet shows, role plays etc.
- Physical assseement is done at the homes and at the health centres. Morbidity clinics, ANC, PNC, Immunization clinics etc are also conducted
- We conduct ‘School Health programme’ in different schools and educated the students regarding various health topics like personnel hygiene, menstrual hygiene, dental hygiene, balanced diet etc.
- We are invited by urban schools and other schools to conduct health education and also to educate the teachers about first aid, emergency etc.
Mental Health (Psychiatric) Nursing
The faculty, department of mental health (psychiatric) nursing believe that after completion of the prescribed course the students will be able to
- Demonstrate excellent clinical skills in the integration of neurobiologic, psychosocial and psychiatric nursing knowledge in delivery of care to individuals experiencing mental illnesses both in the hospital and community area
- Engage in active participation in research activities and in nursing education.
SPECIAL FEATURES OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Periodic workshops are organized for staff nurses, students and faculty.
- Department celebrates “World Mental Health Day” every year. During this occasion faculty and students visit old age homes, special schools and home for physically challenged. Role play, health education, poster presentation, seminars and recreation programmes are organized.
- Observation visit to mental health centres, rehabilitation centres and also home for physically challenged.
- Guidance and counselling are provided for student as and when needed
- Department regularly provides community mental health services like screening of mental illness, public awareness on mental health, counselling the vulnerable groups and health education through proper audio visual aids.
- Department organizes school mental health programmes regularly.
Obstetric And Gynaecological Nursing
The OBG departmental objectives are to,
- Provide and maintain quality class room, clinical learning experience to students
- Encourage the PG, UG students to actively participate outreach programmes
- Reinforce skill learning in nursing procedures related with obstetrics and gynecology
- Encourage post graduate students to carryout research activity with adhering ethical principles
The departmental faculties are well qualified, experienced and taking regular classes and carrying clinical supervision for the students of diploma in nursing, Post certificate B.sc nursing, basic B.sc nursing, and M.sc nursing students. The staff of department of OBG nursing are committed themselves to maintain, give standard education for the students. The staffs are also actively participating various educational programmes in the hospital and community on various topics related with maternal and child health Nursing. The OBG department observing Breast feeding week, world population day every year along with community health and child health nursing department.
Child Health (Pediatric) Nursing
Medical Surgical Nursing
The following are the programs that were conducted:
- Pain management – Nurse’s responsibilities.
- World Diabetes day – health education, marathon run, diet demonstration, foot care.
- World Aids day – walkathon, interactive sessions with the affected individuals, importance of pharmacological therapy & modifications of lifestyle.
- Organisation and exhibitions of all World Health Programmes.
- Cancer awareness programmes – participation in organising & conducting of assessment in screening camps, interactive sessions with the patients, conducting of research projects on management of patient on chemotherapy, in collaboration with Vydehi Institute of Oncology.
- Medication errors & management – organised in collaboration with Green Apple Pharmacy.
- Participation in screening & maintaining blood group type & type data base of all nursing students in collaboration with the Department Of Emergency Medicine.
Ongoing projects are:
- Conducting an orientation and induction programme for newly recruited staff nurses in the hospital.
- Conducting clinical teaching programme for staff nurses & students in the wards on selected procedures.
Proposed projects are:
- Conducting research projects in collaboration with the hospital.
- Co-ordinating with the hospital regarding the importance & documentation of pharmaco- vigilance in collaboration with the department of pharmacy, VIMS& RC, Bangalore.
Fundamentals of Nursing